Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Back Story

On September 6, 2013 I got a positive pregnancy test.  The line was very light but definitely there and confirmed the following day with another test and a darker line. My mined immediately went to the birth and what I wanted for the birth.  A VBA2C.  This is apparently twice as hard to get as a VBAC.  

I didn't think it would be THAT hard.  We moved about 9 months ago from one Texas town to another one 2 hours away, but this one has a birth center and midwives so I had high hopes.  I thought that was all there is to it. I'll go with the midwives and that will dramatically increase my chances of success because they will support me and help me.  They will believe in my and the ability of my body to do what its designed to do.  There is no reason for me to not be successful.  My first cesarean was scheduled because my daughter was breech, my second was an attempt at a VBAC with absolutely no support.  My water broke at 2:30am on Good Friday and we went to the hospital at about 5am.  My progress was slow and the nurses wouldn't let me eat or drink anything.  I was told my birth plan was meaningless and it was completely disregarded and then I was badgered non-stop for the next 13 hours to give up and just go with a c-section.  I finally ran out of energy to fight it anymore and gave it.  I have regretted that every day since.  I promised myself that if I ever had another child I would try harder, be stronger and be successful.  Now, here I am. Pregnant again.


After I got that BFP, I called the midwives a few days later and made an appointment for a consult the next week.  When I met with them a week later, I adored the one I spoke with and at the end of the meeting she went in and consulted with the other midwife in the practice and they decided that if I wanted to use them, they were willing to take me under their care. That was exciting.  Then she asked about insurance and when I told her my carrier, she told me that they don't pay for midwives.  Apparently, the midwives have been trying for years to get them to cover their service, but the refuse.  This would make me a cash paying customer, and that fee is not too outrageous, but still pretty high when paid out of pocket.


When I got home, I began researching my insurance company.  I looked over the policy and couldn't find anything there. I googled but didn't come across anything new or helpful to my situation. So, I called them and confirmed what the midwives told me, but I also got a rough estimate of the cost to us, after insurance, in the event of a repeat cesarean.  The amount is almost exactly the same as the no-insurance amount we would pay the midwives.  If it were a simple choice of picking one or the other its a simple choice, but in the event that I go through the entire pregnancy with the midwives into the start of my labor and then, for some reason, end up as a hospital transfer we would instantly double the cost of having this baby.  And that is a LOT of money to us. When I told my husband about the costs being the same either way, he immediately went to how much it would cost if we had to pay both. And said that its a lot of money to throw at a MAYBE (referring to my VBA2C attempt). Without his full support and backing, I've got nothing. The midwives are my only option for even having a chance at a VBA2C at all. There is no doctor within a 4 hour drive from here that would even allow me to try for a VBA2C. Under the current circumstances I am left with only one option and that is a scheduled RCS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment